Learning Journal Entry #4: Finding the roots of my poker suffering


 
poker study log 4

Learning Journal Entry #4: Finding the roots of my poker suffering
poker learning journal 4

     Thanks for coming back and checking on the next edition of my poker journey from complete buffoon to partial buffoon…  I mean CRUSHER!  So far, we went through me realizing I needed to join a course because I had no idea what I was doing on my own as well as some of my experiences after deciding to sign up for the Raise Your Edge cash game course.
     At this point in my poker learning adventure, I had already signed up, watched videos, and taken notes on them, and I had begun keeping a hand-drawn notebook of range charts and learnings.  That is where I get all the images I start my blog posts with.  It is not always going to be pretty, but I will do my best to show you the evolution of my thinking as I went along.
     All that being said, we are joining me at a time where I really thought I was figuring things out.  I was pretty sure I was going to be a crusher of 6-max NLHE within a month of starting to learn strategy.  Obviously, that could not be much more delusional but that is what makes this blog entertaining… me looking like a dummy and doing everything wrong!  Well, if that is what you came for, you are in the perfect place.
     I was very proud of my notebook and I didn’t even let the thought cross my mind that maybe I had been able to draw the ranges faster than I could memorize them… IMPOSSIBLE!!  Of course, I was doing exactly that.  I was making 3-4 charts per day and spending zero time studying them.  I don’t suggest this method to anyone. 
     If I were doing this process all over I would try to learn one position per day, or even every other day.  I think the big breakthrough that I have had since entering this in my learning journal has been using notecards and notecard apps for memorization.  I also started learning the why behind the ranges and that has helped it all make sense to me to the point that I don’t have to memorize.  Instead, I can just do what makes sense and that is a powerful change that requires much less brain power.  That way I can save my brain power during preflop and use it on the river to rationalize making the wrong decision.
     This time around I had sworn to myself to be brutally honest about the mistakes I was making and I did so for the first time in the next few entries.  I noticed when I reviewed a losing session that I had been calling with a bunch of weak draws and bottom pair type hands in hopes of catching something lucky and winning.
     I noticed that I started doing those bad plays after losing a large pot to someone who had done the same thing to me.  I think they called a huge turn bet with only a gut shot against my set and hit it, boo-freaking-hoo.  Upon losing that pot I decided the only way to find justice for what had been done to me was to lose a bunch more pots by playing poorly…  I know, sick strat!
     I wasn’t proud of the fact I had made this series of poor decisions, but I was happy I was able to honestly call myself out for my mistakes.  I knew that was the only path to improving, brutal honesty.  While I was on the path of honest learning, I decided I needed to get specific and the biggest issue I saw was that I had learned to bet my gut shots in position, but somehow, I had mangled that good advice and turned it into NEVER FOLD A GUTSHOT.  If you know anything about poker, I am sure you can imagine how quickly that can be a costly mix up.
     I read a lot of philosophy and I have always liked the tradition of Buddhism.  One thing that is credited to Siddhartha Gautama is that every form of suffering has its roots, and we need to trace the suffering to its roots in order to stop ourselves from creating that kind of suffering in our lives in the future.  The roots of my poker suffering on this day was the idea that poker was supposed to be fair. 
     The true root lying under that was the feeling of victimization.  This was not the first, or the last, time I would have to pull this root in one form or another in my quest to better myself.  The thought that I am only losing (or whatever bad thing is happening,) because the universe is being unfair is actually a trick I play on myself to think I am superior.  Its my ego telling me I deserve to win and that I matter so much that the whole universe is willing to concentrate on me and do unfair things to me.  None of this is true, of course.
     Thank you for reading and I hope you decide to subscribe and read all the past posts.  The most popular ones have been the ones about my DRUNKEN SHITSHOW of a poker history.
  Check them out here if you want to see the rise and fall of a man without a bit of self-control.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Discovering a Poker Equity Calculator

A Poker History of the VeganDemon [Part 1]