Poker Journal Entry #0: I had to start somewhere

Poker Journal 0 Vegan Demon


Poker Journal Entry #0: 

I had to start somewhere



How did I begin learning about poker?

    I was never a studier in poker or in life really.  I had, of course, heard people talking about hitting the lab and I was way too cocky to admit I had no idea what that meant during my earlier poker days.  I acted like I knew what they were saying, and I pretended like I did it too.  However, pretending did nothing to build my knowledge or to develop my game. 

     Life humbled me pretty well over the years and when I decided I was going to come back to poker I had developed some helpful new life habits.  First, I won't lie to myself anymore.  At this point in my life, I know the first step in getting better at something is to get specific about why I am not good yet. When it came to poker, I had to admit to myself that I not only hadn’t been learning, but I didn’t even know how to start learning. 

     Next, I set aside a few hours each day for working on incremental growth in areas that matter to me (philosophy, meditation, exercise, etc.)  Poker had to be the same, I had to get “in the lab” each day.  The problem, as I mentioned earlier, was that I didn’t even have a clue what that looked like.  In the early stages of learning something, I like to research how other people learn about it and go from there.  Plenty of people have great free content on how to make the most out of your poker study time.  I hit YouTube and 2+2 until I had a plan for how to split up my studying time and my playing time for maximum efficiency.

     Finally, I am always on the lookout for people and places where help can be found to help me progress towards my goals.  I knew a few things from back in the day, but I was sure there was more to be found if I spent some time looking.  I was right about that.  There are about a million coaches, courses, message boards, YouTube channels, and discords that could help me out.

     I started off watching videos on how to study poker and led me to the Raise Your Edge YouTube channel.  There I found courses and a discord community that was very active.  Before I bought anything or started interacting, I checked some reviews and they said that it was a great place to start if you were building your game from the ground up, and I definitely was.  I bought a course and started trying to learn ranges.  Once I felt (incorrectly) that I had learned them well I loaded up $100 on a poker site and started hitting the streets. 

     I knew I wasn’t going to be a winner right away, but everything I had read and watched so far said I needed to share hands with other people to get feedback and learn to be better.  This was a test of my newly found humility because people are not exactly gentle.  A lot of people were only a few lessons beyond my level, but if I posted a hand that interacted with their learnings they LOVED to pontificate from the window of their ivory tower.  I didn’t let that get to me because at the end of the day their blunt advice sprinkled with insults of my game was helpful.  If I could just focus on the learning and forget the trolling and superiority complexes, I could get what I needed and I knew it right away.

     In time I got used to the trolling and made a deal with myself to play for at least an hour before work every day and to pick at least one hand to share on the RYE discord.  I continued listening to their YouTube videos and trying to put the advice into practice.  One thing that was being said everywhere I looked was “you need to find a group near or above your level and join them to learn together.”  I found a room in the RYE discord where people post messages to find study buddies and I went for it.

     I posted a little bit about my history as a poker player and a life-leak master.  I also told a bit about overcoming my issues along the way and that caught a few different group’s interests.  I got a few messages and most of them were studying tournaments only, which was not what I wanted to get into.  Then I got a message from a German guy who was looking to add some English-speaking members to his small group.  It was finally exactly what I was looking for.

     I was intimidated and I assumed everyone else was going to be a crusher that was wondering how they wound up with such a n00b in their group.  I could not have been more wrong.  They don’t care that I am not the best player, they care that I am consistently working at my game.  The most important thing is that if I say I will be there for a group skype on Sundays, I am going to be there if it is at all possible.  They are better than me, and they know way more about solvers and GTO than I do, but I just listen and take notes so I can get a little better each time we talk.

     I also lucked out and had an up and coming player message me to offer to open a discord messaging conversation where I could ask for help.  This has been the main thing that has helped me because this person has come to know me well enough to see my repeated mistakes and they almost always have great advice to help me plug the leaks and understand why I have them in the first place.  I will get their permission and shout them out in a future post hopefully, but they will remain anonymous for now.

     I have been playing each day and keeping a journal of my learnings on an almost daily basis.  I will start on the next post by exposing how dumb my learnings were at the beginning and how things slowly developed from there.  I was always searching for the simple set of rules that would turn me into a crusher, but after a while, I realized that isn’t how it works.  Since then I have just been on the daily grind of playing, posting hands in the study group, posting hands-on 2+2, summarizing my daily learnings in my journal, and reviewing them before I start each daily session.

     Thanks for reading and stay tuned as I start next week writing about my entries in my learning journal.  It will be embarrassing for me, but it should be entertaining for you, and then eventually we will get to the things that helped turn my game around.  Until then, get out there and grind and find some ways to learn.

If you would like to see a bit about my history in the game of Poker please click here

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Discovering a Poker Equity Calculator

Poker Journal Entry #3: Starting to Get on the Right Track

A Poker History of the VeganDemon [Part 2]