Poker Journal Entry #2: Misunderstanding Poker Advice from a Pro

 

Poker Journal Entry 2 Vegan Demon vegandemon

Poker Journal Entry #2: 

Misunderstanding Poker Advice from a Pro

     This is my second entry in the learning journal that documents my return to poker.  This one came from a video on YouTube as well as me reviewing my first poker session in PT4.  I had no idea what I was looking for yet.  I still thought I was just going to watch or read the one perfect thing that would turn me into a crusher.  I knew I needed more than I had learned the day before.  That was clear because I hadn’t won the day before.  How could my strategy be any good if I lost one session?  Lol @ past me.

poker journal entry 2


     Anyone who knows anything about poker should read through this list and see just how far off the mark I was:

-          Flops are fine to check OOP (duh!)

-          Flop bluff stabs should be small and IP (I didn’t know the term range bet yet.)

-          Flop value should be big IP (I am starting to teach my self some dumb things because I am working on my own.  The whole “bet big with good hands, bet small with bluffs” idea will recur throughout this list)

-          Bluff small on turn and value bet big (OMG STOP IT past me!)

-          Do not bluff rivers (ever?) and value bet big (how could they not call!?!?!? IDIOT!)

     The note at the top that says, “Pre-Germans aka wrong,” means this was before I linked up with the study group of mostly German guys who helped me start to get on the right track.  Obviously, this was added in later upon review.  At the time I thought this was for sure the list that was going to turn me into a crusher. I reviewed the list before playing and proceeded to play for a few hours.

     I lost that day.  For some reason, no one would pay off my HUGE value bets.  It was like somehow, they could see the strength of my hand.  I also was still having some issues with feeling like a victim.  I thought maybe there was some hacking going on where they could see my cards.  It is not like my game plan had a built-in way for people to know exactly how strong my holdings were….  This is embarrassing to look back at, so I hope you are enjoying my pain :)

     The only positive I can take from this day was that I got beaten up so badly that I decided I needed to look for a course to take online.  I decided to spend my second poker session of the day looking up reviews for the newest courses.  I was looking for one that wasn’t too expensive but was especially good for helping people who were new to the game.  I didn’t know much, but I did know that I didn’t know much.  That is why I was searching for something for beginners.  I was ready to tear apart the horrible style I had built over the years and rebuild it from nothing.

     I landed on the Raise Your Edge Elementary Cash course.  It seemed to have all the ranges I needed, and I liked the vibe of the guy who taught the course (Fallout86.)  The reviews said that it would help me get a good foundation with which to attack online 6-max cash.  I decided to sign up and start reviewing the ranges every day until I learned them well enough to play them by heart (If I’m honest, I still try to learn ranges to this day and I probably always will be tweaking and relearning them through time.)

     Another thing I was lucky to pick up early on in the Elementary Cash Course was that people can figure it out if you bet big with your good hands and bet small with your bad/bluff hands.  Of course, I still had a lot to learn, but it did finally feel like I had a path to follow.  I reviewed my day and when I was out of the game I could see how mentally out of control I became while playing.  This list of rules is a dumb one, but I couldn’t discipline myself enough to follow it. 

     This was not a feeling I was used to in the recent years of my life.  When I decided to get sober I found a plan and I followed it exactly.  When I decided to lose weight I researched the way I wanted to do it, wrote out a plan, and stuck by it.  When I wanted to learn about philosophy I made a list of readings and I set aside a chunk of each day to use for reading and listening to lectures.  Poker was different.  For some reason, I couldn’t figure out how to bring my calm mindset and self-discipline to the poker table… yet.  

     The last thing I learned while researching poker courses was that RYE was linked to a very popular discord channel.  I had read enough by now to hear people (such as Landon Tice) talking about how finding a connection with other poker players was one of the keys to learning.  I wanted to do that, but I needed to thicken my skin and really, deeply admit to myself and others that I needed help.  I focused on that need during my evening meditation and I felt like I would be ready to share my mistakes.  I was lucky enough to adopt the mindset of “no matter how brutal they are on me for my mistakes, it won’t hurt as bad as getting my ass kicked on the tables every day.” 

     I will end today’s post with that mental game breakthrough and I will be back next time with my next entry in my poker learning log.

If you would like to see a bit about my history in the game of Poker please click here

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Discovering a Poker Equity Calculator

A Poker History of the VeganDemon [Part 1]

Poker Journal Entry #3: Starting to Get on the Right Track